MHI Vestas lands its largest order to date
MHI Vestas will be busy at Lindø. The company has landed a record order from DONG Energy to supply 56 V164-8.0 MW wind turbines to be installed in the wind farm Borkum Riffgrund 2. The turbines are the largest wind turbines in German waters.
It is the third time that DONG Energy book V164-8.0 MW offshore wind turbines at MHI Vestas, which is a joint venture between Vestas and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. The previous orders have been turbines for Burbo Bank Extension (258 MW) and Walney Extension (330 MW).
In addition to the supply of turbines MHI Vestas will be responsible for the maintenance of the wind turbines in a 5-year period.
The order was previously announced, but required an updated license from Bundesamt für Seeschifffahrt und Hydrographie, that it was feasible to construct 8MW wind turbines in the wind farm. The request was granted on Friday.
Source: MHI Vestas / Maritime Denmark
Facts about Borkum Riffgrund 2
• Borkum Riffgrund 2 will be located 54 km off the Lower Saxon coast next to one of DONG Energy's other wind farms, Borkum Riffgrund 1
• The farm will have a total export capacity of 450MW
• The park will consist of 56 MHI Vestas turbines of 8 MW with a wingspan of 164 meters.
• The wind farm will be able to supply CO2-free power corresponding to approximately 460,000 German households' annual power consumption
• The wind farm is expected to be fully operational in 2019.